For customers who have made an error, we are now able to offer a post-entry amendment service if you are using CustomsLink for your UK exports and imports. This will help you avoid the consequences of incorrect declarations.
What is the service?
This service is specifically for when you or your customer has made an error when completing the customs declaration online. We contact HMRC and make the corrections.
- Over or under declaration of goods values - we correct the amount to make sure the correct amount of duty is declared, and the correct duty paid
- Incorrect commodity codes, weights, country of origin, preference claims - we will make these amendments to ensure the declaration is correct
How does it work?
Once your declaration has been submitted to us and you have received the customs entry number back, this confirms acceptance from HMRC. After this point it is no longer possible to amend the declaration digitally via our platform. To make an amendment, CustomsLink will need to prepare and complete amendment documentation and present this to HMRC’s amendments division.
DID YOU KNOW?
HMRC do monitor which customers cancel and re-submit declarations regularly. This is an indicator to them that the user is not fully customs entry educated, and potentially poses a risk.
With 16 years of working for HMRC, our CustomsLink Compliance Manager says
"HMRC look at trends. Businesses that are continually making errors will attract attention, resulting in documentation checks, or even physical examinations. These all take time, money and slow the movement of goods."
When would I need this service?
When you have completed a submission within the CustomsLink platform and received a customs entry number back, the declaration is completed. If you then discover errors or omissions after that point, it is at this time when you use our service.
Think of it like booking a holiday – when it's done and you need to change the booking, you would contact the travel agent and make the amendment. It’s the same with Customs declarations.
When would I not need the service?
You do not need the service if
- You have not yet submitted the declaration
- You want to amend the transport or you only want to amend transport details on an export
How much does it cost?
The service costs £50 and is only available to customers who have made the declaration through CustomsLink. However, compare this to the potential additional work or delays. The message really is try to get it right first time and avoid any costs.
CONSEQUENCES OF INCORRECT DECLARATIONS
- Full documentary check
- Full documentary check AND full examination of goods (48 hour clearance delay)
- Civil penalties (see Notice 301: civil penalties for contraventions of customs law)
- Seizure of goods
- Destruction of goods
Provide us with details of the original declaration, any supporting paperwork and the changes that need to be made.