Frequently Asked Questions | CustomsLink®

A Safety & Security Declaration (SSD) is used by border authorities to analyse the potential risk caused to their territory by goods crossing their border. It is not about the duties and taxes.

There are two types of declaration – ENS (entry summary declaration) and EXS (exit summary declaration).

You need an SSD from GB-EU & GB-NI. (S&S GB SSDs will be required from EU-GB from the end of 2023).

To ensure flexibility when moving goods out of Great Britain via the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel there is a dual Freight Location Code (FLC) that should be used. This will help to avoid errors within the Goods Movement Reference (GMR).

For example: If the export declaration is created using Dover’s FLC but the driver then travels through Eurotunnel using a GMR with the Eurotunnel FLC, it will contain errors.

If the driver checks-in without correcting the errors, the GMR will be invalid, and the driver will be turned away until these errors are corrected.

Hauliers, drivers, or logistics companies must -

  • ensure your supply chain and, in particular, the trader, intermediary or declarant, know which border location you will be leaving from
  • make sure you check that they have used the dual FLC if you’re exiting via Dover or Eurotunnel.
  • make sure you have a process in place to contact the declarant, in case of an error within the GMR so they can correct the declaration.

Traders, exporters, intermediaries, or customs agents must -

  • ensure you know which border location your haulier, driver or logistics company will be using to exit Great Britain with your goods
  • use the dual FLC if your goods are leaving via Dover or Eurotunnel.

If there’s a chance the driver may change their routing after the declarations have been created, we suggest using the dual FLC for Dover/Eurotunnel to avoid any potential errors or delays.

Please visit the UK Government website for the most up-to-date advice. Brexit - GOV.UK (

CustomsLink have made this easy for you. When you choose CustomsLink to manage your border processes, we help you to get both you and your customers prepared. Simply upload your customer contact details into your secure profile (either individually or in bulk) to generate an invite to your customer to register. Your customer is sent a trader welcome pack, explaining the process and helping them prepare, with useful advice on items such as Tariff Classification and how to set up a deferment account.

As our system transacts with customs authorities we will need to verify their identity during the first sign-on process. You can follow which of your customers are registered from your Haulier dashboard.
Some of your customers may already organise their own customs clearance, but you will still need their information to complete safety and security declarations and obtain port passes. The CustomsLink platform allows pre-completed customs declarations to be uploaded to the platform so you can obtain the necessary safety and security declarations and get through the ports.

Yes, CustomsLink can fill in the entry for you using our Classic service. Speak to our team about your requirements. 

Your Haulier may also be able to fill in the details for you on the system however, you must provide these details to them.

Our system has been designed to be simple to fill in, for people in all parts of the supply chain. Check out some of our other Support Centre content to get help if you need it.

CustomsLink can act as a direct representative. The party being represented is known as the declarant and is obliged to meet all the obligations arising from the declaration. The declarant will be responsible for maintaining the records and providing an audit trail. The represented party must give clear and accurate instructions for the customs representative.

In Indirect Representation, in this case the customs representative, acts on behalf of another person but in their own name. It is incumbent on the customs representative to maintain a full audit trail with regard to the customs declaration. The indirect representative shall be jointly and severally liable for all customs liabilities arising from the customs related transactions. 

A signed Letter Of Authority (LOA) is needed before you can continue with direct or indirect representation. 

Need more help?

Book a free session

If you are looking at doing 10+ customs declarations each month, one of our team members can recommend a CustomsLink solution just for you.

Book a free session

Pricing plans to suit your needs. You can switch between Managed Customs and Digital Customs packages at any time.

Contact Us

Contact us about your journey, your goods and what services you require and we will help.

Contact Us

Helpful Questions & Answers

For Hauliers

From 1st January 2021, the UK will be treated as a ‘3rd country’. This means that not only are customs declarations required, but the ‘carrier’ needs to submit Safety and Security Declarations (SSDs). SSDs are also known as ENS (entry summary declaration) or EXS (exit summary declaration) and these need to be submitted in the EU’s Import Control System (ICS) from 1st January or the UK’s equivalent system - SSGB - from 1st January 2022. When goods are shipped driver accompanied, the Haulier is deemed to be the ‘carrier’, and where trailers are shipped on ferries unaccompanied, the Ferry Operators have also moved this responsibility back to the Hauliers, meaning that they are responsible for SSDs regardless of the method of shipment. In addition to this, to get through the ports you will need to submit a list of your Movement Reference Numbers to either a ‘ Port community system’ or Logistics Envelope before you can check in at your port of departure. These systems can be clunky and charge a fee. CustomsLink covers this for you.

Please provide full company name, email and contact details, whether you’re a haulier or trader and we will be in contact with you. Email address: or call 01772 368002.

CustomsLink is the best solution for groupage operators. Our Portpass builder automatically groups all the consignments which you are shipping in the same vehicle, so that you can easily request your Portpass and the haulier can make his journey with no disruption.

Yes. As long as you have been invited and signed your LOA to each haulier in the “my haulier” tab, you can have multiple hauliers.

Safety & Security Declarations(ENS)

A Safety & Security Declaration is used by border authorities to analyse the potential risk caused to their territory by goods crossing their border. It is not about the duties and taxes. There are two types of declaration – ENS (entry summary declaration) and EXS (exit summary declaration). You need an SSD from GB-EU & GB-NI. (SSDs will be required from EU-GB from Jan 01, 2022).

The SSD is only valid for the declared date & time of the shipment. For more information on diversion or amends, please contact our team on +44(0)1772 368289.

Please check out our tutorial videos for help. We do offer a classic service where we can create the ENS(SSD)for you. For details email

Look at the red dots to the left to identify where the error is. Most errors are caused when incorrect commodity codes are entered. Please ensure you use the 10 digit commodity code. If you are still stuck call our SSD & Portpass team on +44(0)1772 368289 or email

Latest News


How We Helped a Japanese Car Giant Declare Dozens of Cars in 2 hours

Fasten your seatbelts…

With countless import and export declarations processed since our launch…


Why choose end-to-end customs support?


You’ve probably heard the phrase “Jack of all trades, master of none”. But did you know this isn…


Why Should I Use a Customs Broker?


The exact requirements of UK customs formalities are constantly changing.

To ensure that trade…


The CustomLink Team Takes on Tough Mudder

Several weeks ago, 12 members of our team set off on a 5k run. But this was no ordinary sprint.…


How (& Why) We Helped 1000's of Customers Prepare for CDS

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. 

Getting CDS ready is absolutely essential for businesses that…


Everything You Need to Know About Customs Clearance for Your Personal Effects

Moving your personal effects from one country to another because you are relocating or moving house…